Garton & Harris

Estate administration for single British Columbia residents

Everyone needs estate planning documents. Single British Columbia residents should also have wills and other estate planning documents, but when it comes to choosing an individual for estate administration duties, a single person without children may wonder who to choose for that task. When other family members are too busy with their own lives to take on the task, a single person does have other options.

There are people who can be hired to help in writing estate planning documents and to administer an estate when the time comes. British Columbia residents in these positions can take advantage of trust companies and of representation agreements. A lawyer with whom an individual has a good relationship may also be a wise choice. 

The only instance when a family member should be involved is when health care decisions need to be made. Family members can be good substitute decision-makers when a testator can no longer make decisions for him or herself. Lawyers can act as executors of a will and are in position to act as estate administrators.

A British Columbia lawyer may be able to step in to help a single client who has no children with his or her estate planning needs. Part of this could include estate administration duties, which entail making sure beneficiaries receive their assets, that debts are paid and final taxes are filed on behalf of the testator. Choosing a trusted legal professional may give a client the peace of mind he or she needs when writing estate planning documents. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule An Appointment With Us

Send Us An E-mail
Scroll To Top